Sunday, May 6, 2012

First Quilt Project

I figured I would start posting my completed projects (possibly even in order).  One, because I haven't sewed anything since finishing Danile's bag and two, because that way I will have a record of my projects and progress in one place (an online quilt journal).  I had wanted to learn to quilt for years but had never made it a priority to learn.  After being unemployed for several months and not having any luck obtaining a job I decided it was time to learn to quilt in 2010.  I figured at least I would have something to show for my time at home.  Of course I continued applying (and interviewing) for jobs and finally landed one several months later.  Yay!

I had inherited part of my paternal grandmother's fabric stash years before but had no idea where to start or what to do with the fabric.  My husband knew I wanted to learn to quilt and bought me a sewing machine for Christmas a couple years before as well (thanks, honey-bunny!).  So in January I decided to sign up for a beginner quilting class at Evergreen Quilting and was at a complete loss for everything.  The instructor helped me pick out the fabric for the table runner and even helped me figure out how to properly thread my machine.  I swear I was probably the slowest sewer she had ever seen! :)  Even though it was a beginner quilting class, I don't think the others were brand new to sewing.  Fortunately, the instructor was pretty patient and even though I didn't get the runner completed during class I was able to eventually finish it.  Sadly whenever I looked at it all I saw were my mistakes and was seriously thinking of tossing it until I mentioned that to my Mom and found out how much she liked it and that she was excited I had made it.  Of course she has always been good at ignoring my mistakes and loving me anyway.  Thanks, Mom!

It's probably not bad for a first project.  Of course it didn't help that the instructor's measurements were off so we ended up needing to piece additional fabric in the outer borders.  But my Mom likes it, which is good since it lives with her now!  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment